"These are my heartsongs"


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Six, Seven, Eight, Triple Nine, Eight, Two, One, Two



Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

(Pause my top playlist and hit PLAY on this one to hear the song!)

I heard this song for the first time about 6 weeks ago, and it makes me laugh a LOT when it comes on the radio. Which is a pity, because it's a squeaky-clean rap song as far as lyrics go...but still..."Kiss me through the phone"? Not the most eloquent lyrics ever written :)

At first I turned my nose up at it, for its unpoetic rhymes, but the more I heard it, the more it began to amuse me, and kinda grew on me. Then it came on one Saturday afternoon when I was hanging around my apartment, paying bills and being generally bored. I realized that the phone number is not in the "555-XXXX" format, which phone numbers in songs and movies are usually in. That caught my attention, and so, feeling a bit mischevious, I decided to call the number. I thought "This is so 1980's, but I'm gonna do it anyway" (I confess, I called 867-5309 when I was 11 or so, to see if anyone would pick up - It was an answering machine saying something like "Jenny's not here right now, so leave a message").

So I wrote down the number & punched it into my cell phone, which told me it was a Georgia area code. I hit Send, it rang a few times, and then a male, african-american-sounding voice answered & said "Hello?" I immediately hung up & felt juvenile and sheepish for actually calling, and hoped he wouldn't call me back & chew me out or something.

Then minute or so later, I get a text welcoming me to Soulja Boy Tell 'Em's text service, with an offer to get the ringtone on my phone! So, it wasn't some random person I called. So, I was expected to call the number. So, THIS is what technology has brought us to - a more complex marketing network than ever! One can buy a number, or a website, put it in a song, and get fans that much more involved in the marketing of one's music! I got about 5 more texts over the next two weeks, and then replied "stop" to unsubscribe myself. But if I had wanted to, I could call any time I wanted to, to hear Soulja Boy's messages to his fans, updates on what he's doing, fan messages TO Soulja Boy, and get ringtones (for just $9.99/month!) and other merch.

For now, I just listen to the song and it makes me smile. :)

♫♫♪da da da da da da da.....da da da da da da da....kiss me through the phone....da da da da da da....♪♫♪

1 comment:

  1. It made me laugh the night you told us at Erin's and it made me laugh again reading it. Thanks! I love it.

    ReplyDelete