"These are my heartsongs"


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, December 19, 2008

Guess What?!

I just finished watching "Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World", a movie about a guy who is sent by the U.S. gov't to find out what makes Muslim people laugh...I wouldn't recommend the movie. It wasn't very funny, was pretty ethnocentric, and had a sloppy ending. Basically, the guy (Albert Brooks) goes and tries to convince people in India that his American humor (which wasn't even funny to this American) is funny. It didn't show any kind of Islamic culture humor, which was very disappointing to me. And didn't depict any muslims as having any kind of sense of humor, which, from my very limited experience, is far from accurate. One of the things that helped me enjoy my arabic class last semester is Dr. B's enthusiasm and sense of humor. Granted, he's been in the States for 30 years, but it's not that fact that he understands or caters to american humor, rather, he enjoys being happy and finding humor out of things. So anyway, I was pretty disappointed in the movie.

BUT what I AM excited about is this: There was a fair amount of Arabic dialogue, and I Understood some of it!! There was an interchange of greeting and talking about someone being expected for a meeting, almost all of which I understood, and then I picked out several pronoun suffixes (talking about "Those men" versus "this woman", etc), and a few nouns. I was pretty excited about that :)

Also, "Holly" from The Office played the guy's wife. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment