"These are my heartsongs"


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, January 26, 2009

This film cost $31 million. With that kind of money I could have invaded some country. ~ Clint Eastwood

I have watched and returned four Netflix movies in the past two weeks. Sometimes I don't watch a movie for a month! Some of that has to do with the fact that a large part of my recent social life is now on a month-long, self-imposed prohibition (30-days no-contact with Mike to make a clean break), and I've been too lazy/solitary/scared of rejection to call people up and ask if I can play with them! And some of it has to do with the fact that school is now in session, and there's always something more interesting to do than homework!

I watched An American Tale last night...in Spanish. I love to watch movies by myself with spanish spoken language in addition to spanish subtitles. It's fun to see the differences between translations of the dubbing and the subtitles...and if I have seen the movie previously and remember even the gist of the English script, if the subtitles (is there a synonym for that word? it's getting tedious to repeat it so many times!) and dubs are different enough, it's like watching one scene with three slightly different interpretations! So that was fun. I hadn't seen it in probably 15+ years.

Before that I watched Some Like it Hot, and I just want to say that Marilyn Monroe is so sexy! I know that was old news about 50 years ago, but I'd never seen any of her movies before. It was fun...transvestism, mobs, romance, what more could you want in a movie? I was tempted to watch it again the next day because I enjoyed it so much, but I was a good little student & read an article about Arab/Israeli conflict instead.

I stayed up til about 1:30 watching Mamma Mia one night last week, and I wasn't all that impressed. Merryl Streep was not at her best in this one, and I kept waiting for it to get better, but it never quite got there. And her two sidekick friends kind of annoyed me...maybe it's better live?

And before that was some top-notch detective work by Jimmy Stewart & Grace Kelly in Rear Window. The 2-minute massages by the home-health nurse cracked me up, but I loved Grace's dresses...apparently they just don't make Hollywood actresses like they used to. :)

And now it's time to go read some more for classes!

3 comments:

  1. :) Hey Eve, another word for subtitles might be captions! It may not be perfect, but in the context, people will know what it's synonymous with :D -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. A break with Mike? Sadness :(

    I'm sad I'm not there to play with you. Hurry up, graduate, and come down to Austin :)

    "Mama Mia" is awful. "Some Like it Hot" is amusing. "An American Tale" is a childhood staple.

    ReplyDelete