"These are my heartsongs"


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, May 17, 2010

Monitoring the Weather: 6th Language of Love?

I got my first smartphone a couple weeks ago. So super fun. I get to carry the internet with me everywhere, and we all know that the internet is the source of all knowledge, so how can that not rock?! Tonight we were driving on the 202 loop, talking about this awesome mountain north of Mesa that was a favorite of the four of us in the car; no one knew for sure what it is called, but it looks like a sinking ship. I thought it was Red Mountain, so I googled 'red mountain mesa' on my phone, and this is what popped up:

BINGO! Just like that, we knew for sure the name of this mountain. Awesome, no? (I know I'm a few years slow in this whole smartphone thing, but humor me, ok?)

So one of the apps that I downloaded to my phone last week is "Accuweather", which brings up current weather and predictions for locations you choose. Right now I have 8 locations saved - weather for my area, my old home of Memphis, my dad, my mom, my brothers, and the distant cities of three different friends. I check them daily.

When we lived in Oklahoma, a.k.a Tornado Alley, my parents' family members would call every time there was a tornado anywhere in the state. Especially my mom's mom. We might not talk to her for months at a time, but if the words Oklahoma and storm made it onto her weather report in California, we got an immediate phone call. It usually made me laugh, expecially when the storm was in the panhandle, and we lived in the furthest possible corner from the panhandle. But it was a way of showing that she cared, and that's always cool.


And now I find myself checking out how the weather is to get an idea of how the natural forces are treating these people who mean a lot to me. (I especially pay attention to the humidity of the areas. And I groan when it's frequently over 50% in almost all the places I check. Why can't everyone have 8-12% humidity like I do most of the time? Poor guys!) There's something about knowing what's going on in the environment of the people I care about that gives me a deeper sense of connection to them.

But on the other hand it feels slightly stalkerish...

2 comments:

  1. Haha! That is awesome. I don't know which is worse, just getting a smart phone and figuring all the cool stuff about it, or already having a smart phone and not knowing how to really use it...ha! That last one is me. And I think I am worse. So don't worry about being late. At least you are figuring it out! I check the weather back home in Memphis, too. I really think it COULD be a language of love! haha. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my name is Joanne,
    I just started on BLOGGER and just so happen to stubmle on your blog.

    It's so incredible what we can do with smart phones. There are so many applications out there that can inhance our phones. From games, productivity and my favorite streaming shows and movies. Have fun with your new phone!

    ReplyDelete