"These are my heartsongs"


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Summertime = Reading...right??

I'm not ready to write about what's really been going on in my life and the lives of those around me...so I'm "checking out" of reality with one of my favorite subjects. Books!

It really bothers me that my virtual bookshelf over there on the right side of my blog has had the same books on it for months and months now. They're all large and/or dense (subject matter-wise) books, and I have been inching my way through them...though it doesn't help that I don't read any of them with any kind of regularity lately. When I took Evan to the airport last week after my graduation weekend, one of my friends rode up and back with me, and introduced me to McKay Used Books in Nashville! Picture this: An old K*Mart-sized building with aisles and aisles and AISLES of used books...It was heavenly! I bought 4 books for $20. And one was a photoessay book that retails for $40. I got it for 8. Woot! But it doesn't help in the accomplishment of my goal to finish the books I've started by the end of this year. One of the books I bought was Eat Pray Love. I'm about 3/5 of the way through, and let me just say that it is one of the most enjoyable reads I've had in a while! I love stories of imperfect people searching for self-discovery and improvement, and what that process looks like. I read it non-stop last week til I left for Oklahoma on Friday, and haven't had a chance to read more than about a page since. But I am anticipating it like a bullfrog watching a fly :)

I also ordered a few books recommended by the Anasazi Foundation for prospective Trailwalkers to read in preparation for the program. Bonds that Make Us Free, The Anatomy of Peace, and Leadership & Self-Deception (whch I listened to on audiobook a while ago, but went ahead & bought the hardcopy). I started Bonds That Make us Free the week of finals, so now I'm 'reading' six books, counting this, Eat Pray Love, and the four on my virtual bookshelf. But not reading any of them.

AND...Mike just loaned me the latest Fablehaven book, which I've been eagerly awaiting for several months! My sister let me take it the night of my graduation while they were here to try to read it into the night and finish it before they left the next morning...that didn't turn out to be such a good plan! I kept falling asleep and waking back up after such a busy day, and when I finally gave up and turned out my light around 1:15, I'd made it all of 11 pages into the book!

So many words, so little time...

No comments:

Post a Comment