"These are my heartsongs"


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, June 9, 2007

daily learnings and such

I'm starting a blog to record the bits of awarenesses and aha! moments in the day-to-day life of a twenty-something girl.

Today I remembered how much I enjoy classic movies. I watched "Singin' in the Rain". Such a good one! I also SO love dancing.

I have found recently that I have a hard time seeing past appearances and linguistic accents to get to the real person that is talking to me. This awareness has helped me look past those things, but I have a lot of preconceived notions about many people in my life that I want to get away from. I learned this way of NOT relating to people from my mom. She had so much energy around not picking up the West Texas, and then the Oklahoman accents, and I picked that up and have been carrying it ever since.

Personally, I am an accent chameleon. When around my mother's Californian family members, I completely loose any accent. When in Texas, my vowels get MUCH longer and I loose all G's at the end of my words. My memphis accent is a happy medium.

My goal is to leave twang and accents out of the equation as much as possible when relating to another person. Just because my co-worker SOUNDS like she's from backwoods Tennessee, she's really very smart, a caring mother, sister and daughter who has just as much of a realistic understanding of the world as someone who enunciates each sylable crisply and concisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment